“Intense repair” and “youthful glow” mean nothing if they’re not backed by the science. So, when it comes to choosing an effective anti-aging product, it’s not empty claims you should look out for, it’s the ingredients listed on the back of the product.
But which ingredients will rid us of wrinkles and plump our skin? We’ve put together a short guide covering the ingredients you need to look out for when curating your anti-aging skincare routines.
• SPF: No doubt you’ve heard it before, but one of the key ways to avoid the telltale signs of aging associated with UV damage is by using sunscreen. Choose products that include an SPF of 30 or higher, and you should be good to go. After all, prevention is better than cure.
• Retinoids: This wonder ingredient is a formulation of vitamin A that increases the production of elastin and collagen, which helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and enlarged pores.
• Hyaluronic Acid: Delivering a hydration sucker punch, hyaluronic acid is one of the best ingredients for anti-aging skincare. If you suffer from dry skin, keep a look out for products containing this ingredient, as it helps to plump the skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
• Antioxidants: Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid are two antioxidants that help to combat signs of aging. The former helps to protect the skin from UV and free-radical damage, and also helps build collagen. The latter neutralizes the free radicals that are responsible for breaking down the skin’s collagen.
• Hydroxy acids: Alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) exfoliate the skin, removing dead skin cells. Regular use can help your skin to better absorb other products, such as wrinkle-reducing serums and moisturizers.
• Peptides: Some peptides can help to stimulate collagen production. Using a moisturizer or serum that contains this ingredient can lead to plumper, more youthful looking skin.
• Niacinamide: The use of niacinamide can improve the skin’s moisture levels by preventing moisture leaving the skin via evaporation. It can also help prevent signs of aging, by boosting collagen production.
• Grape seed extract: This ingredient has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and helps to promote the production of collagen.
• Ceramides: Ceramides work to hold the skin cells, which is the outer layer of the skin together. This helps to lock in moisture and protect the skin from external aggressors.